|Studies in Hunger|
|Prerequisites :||College Morvidus|
|Begin Date :||Athonos 1|
|End Date :||Unknown|
|ModTools Name :||The Topiary Garden|
|Roll Levels :||3 to 5 for the necessary parts and up to 9 or higher for the extra choices|
|Automatic Benefits :||+1 Intelligence, +3 relationship with Oliver Storey|
|Possible Benefits :||Multiple skill levels, Yellow Apple (Item), Red Apple (Item)|
This is an adventure for students of Morvidus college in which hunger leads you to the Topiary Garden, and the secrets and mysteries hidden there.
The adventure takes at least 6 sessions, a successful adventure can gain multiple skill-ups, relationship gains with Professor Storey and a point of intelligence.
Unlocked by: Being in college Morvidus
Stage 1: Studies in Hunger
Phase 1: Studies in Hunger
- 1. You can't work on an empty stomach. Off to the bakery!
- 2. Work now, eat later.
Automatic: +1 Study Habits SS, inform The Topiary Garden (lore), advance to phase 2.
Phase 2: Dreaming in Green
- 1. Sounds interesting, but you should really get down to business.
Automatic: +1 Study Habits SS, pause adventure
- 2. Research. To heck with your paper! Let's learn more about the Topiary Garden! (Roll v. 3)
Success: +1 Library Knowledge SS, inform The Topiary Garden (location), inform Garithinnia Visorin (lore), access Stage 2. Failure: +1 Courtly Fashion SS, +1 Stress, pause adventure
Stage 2: The Topiary Garden
- 1. Check out the Topiary animals
Automatic: +1 Observation SS, choose again
- 2. Go to the floral clock.
Automatic: +1 Curiosity SS, choose again.
- 3. Visit the grove.
Automatic: unlocks option 10, 11, 12, choose again
- 4. Visit the flowerbed.
Automatic: unlocks option 8, 9, locks 7, choose again
- 5. Visit the maze
Automatic: unlocks option 13, locks 6
- 6. Scouting. Explore the maze (Roll v. 5)
Success: +1 Sleuthing SS, unlocks 14, advance phase 2 Failure: -1 Stress, pause adventure
- 7. Incantation. Blow him away! (Roll v. 5)
Success: +1 Intimidation SS, get key, unlocks 8, 9, 14, locks 4, advance to phase 2 Failure: -1 Vitality, -10 Pims, pause adventure
- 8. It's none of your business.
- 9. Schoolyard Education. To battle! (Roll v. 5)
Success: +1 Tactics SS, get key, unlocks 14, advance to phase 2 Failure: -1 Vitality, -10 Pims, pause adventure
- 10. Maybe later.
Automatic: +1 Willpower SS, -1 Playfulness SS, pause adventure
- 11. Negation Methods. Reroute gravity so you can fly and snag an apple. (Roll v. at most 5)
Success: +1 Flawless Timing SS, gain Red Apple, gain Yellow Apple, unlocks 14, advance phase 2 Failure: -1 Concentration SS, pause adventure
- 12. Climb. Climb the tree. (Roll v. 5)
Success: +1 Acrobatics SS, gain Red Apple, gain Yellow Apple, unlocks 14, advance phase 2 Failure: -1 Vitality, pause adventure
- 13. Um... no thanks.
Automatic: +1 Curiosity SS, pause adventure
- 14. You're pretty sure you've seen everything there is to see. (unlocked by 6 and (7 or 9) and (11 or 12))
Automatic: +1 Dedication SS, access Stage 3
Phase 2: Leaving the Topiary Garden
- 1. You're done for now, but you'll come back and check this place out one more time before heading back to the library.
Automatic: pause adventure
- 2. Actually, you should look around here a bit longer.
Automatic: advance back to Phase 1, without completed options
- 3. You've seen everything you need to see here (unlocked by 'Phase 1' 6 and (7 or 9) and (11 or 12))
Automatic: access Stage 3
Stage 3: Back to the Books!
- 1. Time for a break.
Automatic: pause adventure
- 2. Observation. Hit the shelves! (Roll v. 6)
Success: +1 Pure Luck SS, Unlock option 3, choose again. Failure: +1 Stress, choose again.
- 3. Concentration. Study the manuscript - this could be interesting. (Roll v. 7)
Success: +1 Sleuthing SS, Unlock option 4, choose again. Failure: -1 Concentration SS, choose again.
- 4. Research. Keep hitting the books. (Roll v. 8)
Stage 4: Jeb the turtle
- 1. Befriend. Try a little charm. (Roll v. 7)
Success: +1 Manipulation SS, access Stage 5 Failure: -1 Confidence SS, pause adventure
- 2. Zoology. What do you know about Jeb, here? (Roll v. 7)
Success: temporary +2 Befriend SL, unlock option 4, choose again. Failure:
- 3. Bully. Apply a little pressure. (Roll v. 8)
Success: +1 Interrogation SS, access Stage 5 Failure: -1 Intimidation SS, pause adventure
- 4. Give Jeb your apple. (have red apple and success at option 2)
Automatic: +1 Animal Husbandry SS, +1 Persuasion SS, lost Red Apple, access Stage 5.
Stage 5: The Fidgewick Legacy
- 1. Use the small iron key from the Gardens (if you completed 2.7 successfully)
Success: ? advance phase 2 Failure: ?
- 2. Theory of Enchantment. Look the box over. (Roll v. at most 8)
Success: +1 Magical Appraisal SS, choose again Failure: ?
- 3. Lockpick. Examine the lock. (Roll v. 4-21?)
Success: +1 Traps SS, choose again Failure: ?
- 4. Brute Strength. Test the strength of the box (Roll v. at most 8)
Success: +1 Applications of Arithmetic SS, choose again Failure: ?
Phase 2: The Silver Trowel
- 1. Magical Appraisal. Look it over carefully. (Roll v. at most 7)
Success: +1 Sleuthing SL, Access stage 6. Failure: ?
Stage 6: Freedom from the Garden
- 1. Use the trowel to break the enchantment.
Automatic: advance to phase 2.
- 2. Negation. Use magic to get her loose. (Roll v. at most 12)
Success: +1 Concentration SL, twice gain +1 Magical Appraisal SL, choose again Failure: ?
- 3. Brute Strength. Try to tear her free. (Roll v. 9-13?)
Phase 2: And rewards?
- 1. Yes, yes. Very nice. But what about you? And Garithinnia, for that matter?
Automatic: +3 relationship Professor Oliver Storey, +1 Intelligence, conclude adventure